The sight of a dead rat is unpleasant. Rats are one of the most common pests found after cockroaches and ants. For instance:
- Norway rats are common rodents is also called sewer rats or street rats.
- Roof rats are black in colour and weigh up to one pound. Roof rats are found more in the fall and winter seasons.
- Packrats are eight inches long. They like to take away stuff and take it back to their nests.
Hence, there are different types of rats found. The biggest consequence that comes with their diseases. They are well known to transmit illness. Hence, it is important to treat rat infestations immediately. And if you end up finding a dead rat, do not touch it with bare hands. You have to dispose of it properly and safely.
Tips For Dead Rat Removal
Look for these signs to be sure you have a dead rat in your house.
- The smell is an obvious sign of a carcass. The rotting stage will build bacteria and maggots which causes a really bad stench.
- Sudden groups of flies swarming in a particular place in your home. Dead rats will attract flies and other insects to your home. This might make the situation worse.
Therefore, get your hands on plastic bags, HEPA masks, gloves for protection and a trash bag.
- Firstly, wear your protective mask and gloves. Pick up the dead rat and put it in a plastic bag. And then put it again in a trash bag. The important step is to seal the bag tightly. And then you can throw it out as regular trash outdoors.
- Before performing this method, make sure to call your local pest company. They will guide you through the legal ways of disposing of a dead rat or carcass. As different cities have different rules with animals and pests. So it’s better to be sure about your process.
- After performing the process, make sure to discard the gloves, masks and clothes you are wearing. And moreover, sanitize your home properly.
- Another important step is to get rid of the dead rat smell. This one is tough. It needs intense cleaning and sanitization. You can use air purifiers, ozone machines and others to get rid of this smell.
Once you discard the dead rat, make sure to follow some steps. Here are some post dead rat removal steps you should look out for:
- Check roofs, attics, sewers and drainage systems. Remove all the entry and exit points wherever possible.
- Empty all your garbage bins immediately. And make sure to do it regularly. Moreover, always cover your garbage bags and cans.
- Keep your garden at a minimum height so that pests do not enter homes.
- Check food storage in your kitchen. Firstly, store your food in air-tight containers. And keep them in higher places.
- Use rat repellents and bait traps to avoid any more rats in your home.
And one last step is to call a pest control professional regularly for inspection.
How Can Our Professional Rat Control Specialists Help Your Home
Handling one single rat is manageable. But imagine having more than one dead rat around or more rat infestation. It is a pure nightmare. And if they are not treated in a safe way, it can be a threat to your health. Hence, Pest Destroy is one of the most reliable pest control companies near you.
We have years of experience with rats and other pests. And will safely discard any dead rats from your home. Therefore, call us on 08 7100 9071 and get rid of such unpleasant situations today.